Uncle Norman’s every year until around high school we went to his apartment for St Patrick's day and the parade. It was an annual event.
===
The Camp
Aunt Pearl and uncle Emerson had bought two lots when they had originally started building around Fern Lake I guess instead of just having a 25 x 100? property, they got 50 x 100?. They were among the first few people to build on the lake.
This is one of those places you don’t truly appreciate until you’re an adult. Not everyone has a family member with a camp on a lake, let alone one that you get to spend a week at every year for close to 2 decades.
Just getting ready for vacation every year felt special, We were spoiled as kids. Who used to get coloring books, sticker books, reading books, all kinds of toys over the years, battery powered boat, Go-Bots tank, and I remember losing the Canon on the dock in the lake, there little metal army soldiers, I got the G.I. Joe General Hawk one year and used to play on that rock that had that small birch tree in front of the lawn mower shed.
Pulling into the camp was exciting every single time for me. There were two entrances separated by a clump of trees. You never knew if someone was going to show up if you left for the store and back then people were very friendly, so if they heard we were in town people would stop by to say hi.
I’m not sure what it was like for my parents, but my brother and I would either race to get the key, which I think was kept in the outhouse or someone would race to the dock to check the washer drum that was used as a live-well.
On land there were toads and newts everywhere on the property and even a few spotter salamanders, I remember they were sticky, so I just left those alone.
Along the waters edge was lined with concrete. I’m not sure what they were formed with, it’s almost like someone crafted 1’x2’ cylinders. The only spot that didn’t have them was about a 12 foot area to the left of the dock that was used as their boat launch. The concrete between the launch area and dock had boards on them for years, so we would run across it, but I’m not sure why they were originally put there. To the right of the dock had concrete rolls spaced just far enough for kids to have fun when skipping across them. I assume they were there to prevent erosion, and at the same time they were perfect for walking across to catch frogs and crayfish. Though you did need to watch out for this sharp grass. I’m not sure what it was, but I remember it would almost slice your skin like a papercut.
There was no phone there, so we’d have to drive into town if we needed to call for anything.
This is where I fell in love with minnow or bait nets. I think of it more like a cage, but it does have exits, the fish just don’t know how to use them. These cylinder shaped cages had inverted cones on each end for fish to swim in and I think they were held together with bent metal coat hangers. We had some rope and would fill the nets with bread and wait for fish to come. We’d catch crayfish all the time too, but mostly small rock bass, pumpkinseed and blue gill, some tiny large mouth bass and I think that’s it, I don’t think we ever caught a small mouth bass or pickerel in those nets.
Inside felt so different from other places I’ve ever stayed. As a kid I recall being fascinated by the roof construction, since it was real 2x4’s and they were spaced further apart than I was used to seeing and I thought it was strange they had cardboard lining it all.
I loved the single siding, it was asphalt designed to look like tan bricks and there was green edging around the entire roof and windows.
Using the sink was exciting because there was a pump that sucked water from the lake, so it needed a few moments before it started gurgling and we were able to do dishes.
There was a spring across the lake that we would take trips to get water at. It was something people cared for and had maintained over the years. There was a trail or boards with moss on them leading up in the woods, though I never traveled far up it.
Ellie and Billy came up with their van a couple times over the years, though I don’t recall cousin Norman ever joining the family.
===
Work in Progress.
I thought it might be easier to separate my memories of each side of my family, since they were different and there weren't any large or memorable events where families co-mingled.
===
My mother's side was smaller than my fathers, and there weren't any kids our age around to play with, so it changed how we interacted.
Although my grandma Francis had an apartment on Center St. for a time, I don't really remember it, the majority of my memories take place visiting aunt Flossie's at 100 Ray St. in Ludlow, Ellie and Billy's at 64 Thayer Rd in Monson, aunt Pearls at the camp at 255 Fern Lake Rd. Au Sable Forks, NY or her home at Plattsburg, NY 10 Battery St Plattsburgh, NY
I’m not sure where this picture was taken, Altona?, New York for sure.
This is the earliest picture that I have. There might be more, but my family isn't really in the mood to chat or share stories in 2026, so I don't have a lot to work with.
All my grandma Francis's stories of growing up were hard, though full of excitement, she described things as hard to come by, which didn't make any sense to me at the time, but hits different now that I'm almost 48.
===
It's horrible to say, but I can't remember any details of the stories my grandmother or her sisters once told me.
I know they used to chop wood on the farm, but I don't know what kind of farm or what type of wood stove they used to heat the house as kids.
I did get to drive past where this house was, back in 1994 I believe, but there was nothing there and I don't recall any stories of when I came down, though I'm pretty sure they rented.
===
I can't recall details and no one really wanted to share what they knew, but my great-grandma Gero was rumored to have died from a botched abortion. I can't recall if they said it was a hanger gone wrong, but she died young and left a void in the family. After her passing my aunt Flossie helped raise my grandma and uncle Norman. I don't know exactly how things worked out, but they all stayed close the rest of their lives.
Time with my mothers side of the family was different, even the kids acted differently. It was like I got to hangout with the older crowd with my moms side of the family, which wasn't the same with my dads side. Maybe the lack of young kids allowed the adults to keep the conversations focused on what they wanted.
Back of the photo says:
My mother standing- center Jennie Burnett
My grandfather sitting on the left Nelson Burnett
My grandmother sitting on the right Julie Burnett
Francis Landers
Francis Landers Born Francis Gero in New York
Marcell Gero (Giroux) born January 1879- died 1952
&
Jennie Burnett born 1888, died 1932
Fred~~~~~July1, 1907
I can't remember if it was Uncle Fred or Uncle R that the family never heard from ever again, And they always wondered what happened to him.
Raymond~~~Dec 28,1908
Harry`~~~~Sept 1, 1910
Harold~~~ Sept 1,1910
Mable~~~~~~May 15, 1912
Flossie G Patrie May 3,1914, died December 2, 2007 Married to Art Patrie who died March 23, 1983
- Daughter Eleanor Casey son Norman Richard Brusseau
- Had another son who died in a car accident.
===
Leo N. Gero born February 24,1916 , died October 3, 2006
Live in Altona, no kids
===
Carl~~~~~~~~Dec 4,1917
===
Pearl E. Barnard Oct 24, 1919 Died November 6-2005
son's Joe and Emerson Joe dated Helen, her daughter was in a motorcycle accident and lost an arm and a leg, but she still drove ATV’s around and didn’t let it slow her down. I think they lived in Peru
10-battery-st-2_plattsburgh-ny-12901
===
Maude~~~ November 8,1921 died November 8, 2008
===
Louis Carl~~~Oct 13, 1923
===
Victor June 10,1926
===
Frances Landers ~~Jan 25,1928 died August 28, 2003 married to James Landers but separated when my mother was young.
Son Chet Gero, Daughter Linda Stebbins
===
Richard Norman Gero- but we called him uncle Norman- May 24, 1930, Died June 16, 2002
===
Three of the clippings in the picture below are about my Auntie Flossie's son Arthur J Manor jr, he died in a car accident when he was 20 years old. the family talked about him my entire life, Aunt Flossie, Ellie and cousin Norman were totally traumatized by this event. And now reading the article below, reading the gruesome details and seeing that the driver got a $200 fine, I can see why they were so traumatized.
Cousin Norman even gave Junior's broken guitar, someone sat one on it decades ago and it's obvious no one was going to fix it properly, so he thought I would want it. lol
I think Billy was the one who tried to fix it and did a half assed job with some paneling and glue, it's been so long I don't remember exactly. lol
Cousin Norm gave it to me while Beth and I were living in West Warren, I remember sticking it up in the rafters in the garage, I didn't know what to do with and I didn't want to just throw it away, I know it meant something to my cousins, but I thought it was junk. lol
FINE IS $200
IN CAR DEATH Henry G. Robbins, 21, of Wilbraham Gets Time to Pay Northampton, Sept. 4-The driver of an automobile involved in! a fatal accident on North Washington St., Belchertown,
was
Aup. 24 fined $200 on a dangerous driving charge in District Court
today.
Henry G.Robhins, 21, of 13 Dudley St., Wilbraham, was the
operator penalined
Arthur J Manor. 20, of 100 Ray
St., Ludlow, was instantly killed
while riding with Robbins
when the latter's car left the highway
and crashed into a tree
Theresa Cavanaugh, 16, of 266
Main St., Three Rivers.
also a passenger in the Robbins car, es-
caped with minor injuries State Trooper Leonard Von Fla tern and Motor Vehicle Inspector Joseph MeNeil of Springfield, who investigated the fatality, prose
cuted Robbing was given until the
25th to raise the fine
===
LUDLOW YOUTH
(Contined From Page 1) Fashington St. when the vehicle
ailed to negotiate a slight curve The
car
went off the west houlder of the road and slammed nto a large maple tree. After itting the tree, the car recrossed he street and struck a telephone
ole on the opposite sire tractured
Manor
suffered kull. broken neck, multiple frac-! ures of the spine and contusions. le died instantly, according to Medical Examiner Dr. Joseph Ko.
valski of Ware.
The body was rdered removed to the Beers-
fory funeral home in Belcher-
Robbins
suffered contusions.
acerationsaboutthebodyand lad fractured ribs. Miss Cava- laugh had several of her front eeth knocked out and also had ontuisions and bruises about the
ody. The niured were treated at the cene by Dr. Kenneth Collard of
3elchertown and were later taken
° Mary Lane Hospital in Ware
===
EarlS. Gero
1937 - 2008
DUTHAMPTON
Earl
ted" Samuel Gero, age 76, 71 East Street, Southamp- n, died on Friday, January 2008 at his residence sur- unded by his loving family, Lowing a short illness. He survived by his wife of 48 ars Carolyn (Mayo) Gero, ree sons, Bob Gero of estfield, Larry Gero and n Gero both of Montgom- y, a brother, Leonard Gero
i a sister,
Viola Gero of alyoke, five grandchildren. a was predeceased by his ughter Cecile McCarthy rlier. Funeral services will private. The Graham Fu- ral Home of Easthampton s been entrusted
with
ul's care and services.
Graham
Juneral Hume
2(413)527-5321
===
(in the Belehentown police ambu-
ปลกวe
Pee last rites of the Roman:
Catholie Church
were
adminis tered to the victim
by
George
Dudley of
SE.
Rev.
Francis
Church in Belchertown.
The acci- dent occurred shortly before 1
a.m.
Mr.
Manorsbodylaterwas
taken
to the Beers
Story
funeral home, Palmet.
He was
employed as a construction work
Spring-
field. He leaves his motes rig. Flossie (Gerou) Manor, a brother,
[Norman.
and a sister Eleanor, Sall of Ludlow, Funeral and burial
te will be
Tuesday morning in Al-
tona, N. Y.
===
Palmer Man
Among Navy
Plane Dead PALMER The son of a Palmer woman was identified Saturday as one of the 13 mer ahoard a U.S. Navy patrol plate which crashed at
sea of thei
wester-coast of Lazon.
The Defense Department said
Aviation
Structural Mechanic!
Howard I. Gero,
SOU DE MISS
Helen Lorraine Cole of 30 Kelly d
St.,
Three Rivers
was aboard (the four-engine P3A eralt when it plunged into the ocean Friday d
night. At least two hodies were re-
covered.
Besides his mother.
Gero has t ja stepfather. Henry Coles a sise ter, Mrs. James Collins of North Three Rivers, and a half-
brofher, Christopher Cole.
===
This picture is of my uncle Chet and mom at RedBridge. I’ve been fishing here countless times myself.
1978-1993
Aunt Flossie’s house on Ray St.
We used to get to walk up the street to double D’s and get ice cream. There was a house that always had carnival rides on trailers at the end of their street. We stopped going around high school. I don’t know if it thought I was too cool or I was too lazy to walk up the road, either way it’s been gone now for a decade or more and I think I went there a couple times after I got a car, but it was never as exciting as going with grandma Francis and getting Black Raspberry, Pistachio, Mint Chocolate Chip, .
I loved sleeping over, though I’m not sure Grandma Francis enjoyed sharing her bed, lol but I was young and didn’t care. I just wanted to hangout and do things.
We used to watch Bob Ross all the time, GLOW- Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling. This is where I also first got to watch The Exorcist.
===
===
Ellie and Billy’s house on Thayer Rd was always dark and as you can see in the 2010 video, the windows were covered to prevent anyone from looking in. lol All my life I remember Billy always making comments about the government watching and listening. I never actually cared and wondered why he wasn’t sharing all the issues he found out loud, so the government could hear. lol
Even though they only live 20 minutes away their house was in the middle of the woods, with just a few neighbors nearby, so we spent more time trying to figure out what to do and where to explore than we did when other kids were around and other ideas to consider.
===
We went to visit family in New York since I can remember.
We used to stop at all these amazing places to swim on the side of the road.
There is an awesome spot along the Ausable river with smooth glacial rocks, it’s right at the historic covered bridge in the town of Jay.
One year I got swept down into the rougher rocks and almost lost my bathing suit. I got all bashed up. lol
I don’t recall how we found these places or if someone told us about them but they were amazing.
There were glacial ponds or lakes on the side of the road and we got to go swimming at a couple cool places: one place I guess my sister almost took a deep plunge but my dad grabbed her at the last second. I just recall this story and not it happening, so I must’ve been off exploring another area.
Connie's Michigan's in New York, on route 191 in Altona.
I don't actually remember aunt Connie herself, but I do remember her Michigan stand. She must've passed away when I was young and this just sticks out because every family event that I can remember after Ellie made Michigan sauce, so these memories kept popping back up.
The stand was on Rt. 191 on Altona Sciota Road on Rt. 191. The stand was right in front of her house. The Gero family had bought or rented a lot of land in that area,
=
We did get to play with a few cousins Christine, Steven and Kim Gero at one house and a cousin Wesley Lafave at another.
I can't remember exactly who's house this hole is behind, but there was a sheet of rock out behind my family's property from glacial times and there happened to be hole filled with water. No one ever told me what was actually at the bottom or if anyone knew, but I've always wanted to go back and drop a camera in the depths to find out.
Whatever this hole was was far enough away that we needed to use 4-wheelers o get to it. At the time my family and the neighbors had corn fields and it was
=
I don't remember much about Wesley, though he did teach us about spitting at the bug light with the blueish light. It was very exciting, plus the bug in those woods loved that light, so it was none stop zapping, but the spit was like a big juicy bug. lol
=
We also used to visit cousin Carlton and Elizabeth Trudo (they her called Sister), they lived on a farm up the road at 102 Woods Farm Rd. Altona. They had an inground pool in front by the road and a barn out back. They're close to 40 years older than I am, so they didn't play with us kids. Their kids are closer to my moms age, so they were all chatty while my brother and I explored and played.
Looking back people acted a lot different back then, than they do now. My brother and I were allowed to explore all we wanted. Though we never found anything amazing, it was so much fun getting to look around the house, dig through their garage, then go jumping off the tops of the hay bails in their barn, which was super exciting.
They had a sand pile with Tonka trucks next to the pool and there was always toads and frog nearby. We did go swimming, but I always remember the water feeling chilly.
We were also given fresh vegetables every time we left. They had a garden across the street, though I can't remember how big it was.
I also recall when when of their kids was building a house up the street, they got a permit and we allowed to use explosives to break up the rock to build their basement. As a kid hearing about people blowing stuff up was very exciting and I thought there was a lot more to it then there actually is.
===
Almost our entire childhood with grandma Francis was spent at Ray St. in Ludlow; even though it was my aunt Flossie's house we would say we're going to visit grandma Francis.
Their house was always full of so much junk and I loved it. They had selves on the porch, an 8-track player, a taxidermy stuff black squirrel, a bunch of aloe plants, and there was more junk when you walked in to the living-room/kitchen comb. They had an organ stuff in there, a tv, and 1 recliner in front that was uncle Arts and another chair off to the side.
As a kid I didn't notice how treacherous the stairs to the second floor or basement were, I would climb them like a monkey, but as I grew I really need to watch it or I'd smack my forehead.
we used to find toads on the side of the house and they had rhubarb grow growing in the backyard, They used to have piles of pallets and other junk in the yard and bushes as a barrier to hide a lot of the junk.
I don’t know where I saw this, but one time I tied a string to a fire hydrant and across the street a tree. I don’t know what I was thinking, and thankfully, no one was hurt, but I did get in trouble. One of the neighbors had caught me and taken the string down before someone was injured.
They were all so thoughtful and helpful.
Uncle Art passed around 1983 or 1984 I believe, I remember him coming over and working on the porch, there was rotten wood and he was good at construction, I'm not sure if my dad was doing for work at the time. I don't remember much about him, but I remember my dad telling me that uncle Art smacked me in the mouth once, I guess I had spit at him, but I don't remember doing that as a child, so I don't know why I would do something like that, maybe I did it? then I guess I learned my lesson. lol.
===
YouTube video of the camp, Kathy's birthday and my birthday 1990
https://youtu.be/glCN8nkqxnc?si=gRPqbX8s_4gHddbh
Summers in New York.
Up until 1993 we went on annual family vacations to the camp.
Everything was so different back then, you never knew what to expect, people would show up out of the blue, so things were always changing , but the camp was the place everyone met up.
The television reception wasn't great there, but we still got to watch some stuff and we would have watched more if we weren't told to go play outside. lol
A few times we went blueberry picking off in the woods and made blueberry shortcake from scratch when we got back.
Aunt pearl used to fillet the smallest of fish, she knew how to fillet everything, but I never learned until after she passed. I never paid much attention to what she was doing, I was always off in my own world.
When were your younger we would catch frogs and had frog legs, I don’t remember doing that after I was like 12 years old.
Scaring grandma with real and fake snakes, then at some point I became afraid of snakes. lol
Toads around the side door. Playing outside in the junk with my action figures was a blast.
Always had aloe plants all over the house, had a pet termite in a baby food jar. They had a stuffed black squirrel taxidermy on the porch.
The stairs to the attic were terrible and grandma fell down once and tore her ear in half.
Trips to the market for fruits, vegetables and the local paper.
Every Easter we would gather at my uncle Norman’s apartment in Holyoke and walk over to the parade.
Uncle Leo had one crippled forearm and hand. When he we younger he was rolling down a hill and got hit by a car. I don’t know how this happened, either way, his arm was never the same and he always wore it in a sling.
Grandma transit was so happy to buy her Chevy Celebrity.
That thing was fast. We got her Chevrolet Chevette when she bought that, I remember learning how to drive without power steering. It was like going from a lawn mower to a race car.
1994
I got to go to Fern Lake and Plattsburg, New York for a week with my grandma Francis, aunt Flossie and uncle Norman. We went to visit family in Altona and I got to ride an ATV
September 21, 1994
October 1994
Learning to drive with grandma Francis was a lesson in paying attention to what was going on around you. lol
Was she making noise because a spider jumper on her or was she having a panic attack because she thought we were going to crash? lol
It’s funny, it’s January 2026 as I’m writing this and I think my grandma Francis’s goofy reactions and her ability to laugh at it after, makes it easier for to deal with my friend Dallas when he’s crabby or his anxiety gets the best of him, which makes him crabby, my grandma Francis never got like that, she never lashed out at us, all I can remember is her always being happy, until she got Alzheimer’s in 1999, even then she faked it until she stopped talking.
March 22, 1995
1996
I was never really close with my grandpa Landers, He's the one we got the PUCH moped from years ago. I received this card from him Christmas 1996. For those who can't read cursive it says
"Rick, this card is the best I could find. I went to three stores and they didn't have much of a selection for grandsons. All the cards in the other stores were for much younger grandsons, OK grandpa. Show this to your brother so he will understand why both cards are the same."
1997
Grandma Francis was so excited be a great grandmother again. My cousin Ray beat me to it and lives in Texas, so she only saw them a few weeks out of the year.
1998
1999
It was end of winter that someone noticed my grandmother was getting confused and she would get lost when driving around, so she moved out of her in with us on Hope st, she also had her license taken away from her.
2000
It wasn’t long before my mother couldn’t handle having grandma Francis around and found her a place in an assisted living complex in Ludlow.
2001
I remember grandma Francis asking me to take her home during of my visits to her nursing home. What a terrible feeling trying to explain that she’s stuck there for the rest of her life.
2002
Uncle Norman passed away June 16, 2002 after having heart surgery and suffering complications.
Uncle Chet, aunt Mary and Roxanne came to visit in November 2002.
The bottom picture was from December 24, 2002.
2003
Dietrich. was born in February, I only remember taking Dietrich to see grandma Francis one time, it might have been a few, but the last time I remember her saying she hated babies. lol
Being sick and clearly not reading the situation right, took that as an okay not to bring my son to visit her again and I didn’t.
Grandma Francis died August 28, 2003.
I don't recall much from my grandma Francis's funeral, but I do remember my uncle Chet driving me and Dietrich back home, when out of nowhere he breaks down crying and saying he wished he came earlier.
I was sick at the time, so his emotional outburst struck me as odd and I remember sitting in the back seat wanting to ask why he didn't come visit more or why he didn't come when the doctors said she didn't have much longer. It's not like this had ever happened before and he didn't visit all that often anyway.
I felt terrible that my grandma Francis died in that toilet of a nursing home, but I felt powerless to do anything about it. I listened to the adults around me that I thought were paying attention to the world around them.
Frances Landers Obituary
Frances H. Landers
1928 - 2003
LUDLOW - Frances H. (Gero) Landers, 75, of Ray Street, Ludlow, died Thursday, Aug. 28, 2003 in a local nursing home. Born in Altona, New York, she resided in Ludlow for most of her life. Frances was a retired 33 year machine operator for the former Tambrands Corp., of the Three Rivers section of Palmer. She is survived by a son, Chester C. Gero of Austin, TX; a daughter, Linda A. Stebbins of Springfield; a brother, Leo Gero of Altona, NY; four sisters, Mabel Piatek of Brimfield; Flossie Patrie of Ludlow, Maude Hague of Witherbee, NY; Pearl Barnard of Plattsburgh, NY; five grandchildren; Richard, Robert, Katherine, Ray and Roxanne and several great grandchildren. Frances was predeceased by her husband, James Landers who died in 1997. A prayer Service will be held in the Ratell Funeral Home 200 Main St., Indian Orchard on Monday at 5:00 p.m. Burial will be private and at the convenience of the family. In lieu of flowers memorial contributions in her memory may be made to the family c/o Linda A. Stebbins, 54 Hope St., Springfield, MA 01119. Visiting hours are Monday from 2 to 5 p.m. For directions & Guest Book visit www.legacy.com.
2004
2005
Aunt Pearl died November 6, 2005.
*stuff to talk about-Bar with Kathy, first time I was a pallbearer. The ride home at night with Chet was taxing to say the least, he drove for like 15 minutes, wouldn’t stop talking so I could catch a quick power nap, then it started raining and something smudged on the windshield and made visibility terrible, it was like someone wiped a drop of oil across everything. I could still see, but it was difficult in the dark.
Selling the camp turned into a fiasco, further driving the family apart. I’m not sure if aunt Pearl really did have money hidden in her house, but there were rumors, not 100’s of thousands being found, but I think it was something like 30-40,000 and the talk was that she wasn’t taking her blood pressure medication. So I don’t know if she was being cheap, people lied about the money or what, but people were talking, and it didn’t seem to be bringing anyone closer together.*
2006
===
*2026 reflection: I added Wosik since it’s my uncle Chet’s father and they weren’t close. For most of my life I didn’t realize that Chet’s dad lived so close, he only spoke of going to visit him one time. During this visit my uncle spoke like his father was totally disinterested that he came to visit. Uncle Chet was also upset that his step-mother made a comment like “ I wonder if your father has any other bastard kids out there”. This bothered Uncle Chet for years after. Looking back it’s sad to think that neither of them were willing to work on their relationship. Yeah sure my uncle Chet went to visit them, but did he lose his attitude? I would venture to say no, and it was probably more like a pissing match knowing my uncle.
I’m pretty sure his step-mother misspelled my uncle's last name on purpose in the obituary below, she knew it was Gero. lol*
Chester A. Wosik, 78 THREE RIVERS — Chester A. Wosik, 78, of Barker Street, passed away Sept. 15, 2006, at UMass
Medical Center in Worcester. Born Nov. 5, 1927, he was the son of the late Jan and Sophie (Mikula) Wosik Broske. Chester had been a lifelong resident of Palmer and was also a member of the AMVETS. He served his country during World War II in the U.S. Navy. Chester retired in 1992 from the Springfield Foundry after many years of employ-
ment. He leaves his wife Edna (Mcelwain) of Palmer, a son Chester Jero of Texas; and a step-daughter Joanne Masztal of Belchertown. Chester is also survived by his sister Genevieve Kowalik and brother Romuald J., both of Ludlow, along with two nephews, Robert and
Edward Kowalik. All services will be privately held at Beers & Story Palmer Funeral Home. For more information and to sign a memorial guest book on-line, visit
===
Uncle Leo died October 3, 2006
Leo Gero Obituary
Published by Legacy Remembers on Oct. 4, 2006.
PLATTSBURGH — Leo N. Gero, 90, of Evergreen Valley Nursing Home, Plattsburgh, passed away there on Tuesday, Oct. 3, 2006.
He was born in Altona on Feb. 24, 1916, son of Marcell and Jennie (Burnett) Gero.
Leo's sisters, many nieces, nephews and friends cared a lot for this very special person.
Leo worked for the Clinton County Building and Grounds Department as a night supervisor. He also worked for the Plattsburgh City Beach, the Irona Selzer Mill and the Altona Town Hall.
Leo is survived by three sisters, Mable Piatek of Hamden, Mass., Flossie Patrie of Ludlow, Mass., and Maude Hagey and her husband Joseph of Witherbee, N.Y.; and many nieces and nephews.
Leo was predeceased by Irene Brunell, his long time companion; two sisters, Pearl Barnard and Frances Gero; eight brothers, Fred, Raymond, Harry, Harold, Carl, Louis, Victor and Norman.
Calling hours will be Thursday, Oct. 5, 2006, from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. at Brown Funeral Home in Altona. A Mass of Christian burial will be celebrated on Friday, Oct. 6, 2006, at 10 a.m. at Holy Angel's Church in Altona. Burial will follow in the parish cemetery.
Donations in Leo's memory may be made to the Alzheimer's Association.
===
Mabel M. Piatek
1912 - 2006 BRIMFIELD - Mabel M (Gero) Piatek, 94, died Tues day, December 5, in Mars Lyon Nursing Home. Born i Trona, NY, she was the daugh ter of the late Marcell and Jennie (Burnett) Gero. She was a longtime resident ol Brimfield. She was prede ceased by her husband Joseph in 1978. Mabel is survived by her son, Michael Piatek of Bondsville; 3 daughters, Bar bara Piatek of Brimfield, with whom she lived; Beverly Trombley and Betty Walker, both of Ware; 2 sisters; Flossie Patrie of Ludlow, and Maude Hagey of Witherbee, NY; her special friend, Kay; also by several
nieces,
nephews, grandchildren and
great- grandchildren. At the request of the family, all services and burial are private. Motyka Fu-
neral Home, 2186 Main St., Three Rivers is handling ar-
rangements.
===
No comments:
Post a Comment