1995 Senior year



1995

January

Driving grandma Francis’s Chevrolet Chevette was an experience in itself. That car was a basic as they make them, it didn’t even have power steering, had a stiff suspension, it had the crappiest radio, but it got us from point A to point B. lol

Grandma Francis was the best. She gave us the “vette” when she bought her Chevrolet Celebrity and we drove it for years. I wish I could recall when we got rid of it. We had the van around this time too.




Learning to drive in a vehicle that’s top heavy like our old van is scary. There were more than a few occasions I caught myself going to fast and the road was tighter than I thought I was going to be, like heading to the Forni’s on Mapleshade Ave and being sure we were going to tumble, while everyone else sat calmly and paid little to no attention at all. I wonder if my anxiety was what made these moments feel like they were more than they were, since I normally find driving exciting, but I recall being afraid back then and there was no sense of excitement at all, not even after everything was fine. I never acknowledged that as an over reaction being.




1995-1-25

01-25-1995

Looking back, I'm surprised that no one took this more seriously at events like this. Granted these situations were all just jokes to me, but Tammy had died a few months before, no one knew what happened and no one appeared to be looking into anything. It’s the same 30 years later.

I really wish I could remember what I was accused of doing or saying. I only remember feeling like the people involved were acting stupid and trying to twist what I was saying. I probably told them they were full of shit. lol


Picture above text:

“SPRINGFIELD PUBLIC SCHOOLS

SPRINGFIELD, MASSACHUSETTS

EXTERNAL SUSPENSION FORM

Please send to the Bureau of Pupil Services

Date received 1/25/95

ID#

Student's Name- RICHARD STEBBINS H.R. A105 D.O.B. 10/8/78 G.R. 12

School- PUTNAM

Parent's Name-RICHARD STEBBINS SR.

Address

54 HOPE ST

Telephone- 783-2885

Sex- M

Race circle (1), 2,3, 4, 5, 6




Date of suspension- 1/25/96

Date of return- 3/35/96

•

Total days suspended- 30

Cumulative total for year

73

Please circle offense as listed on pages 17 through 20 of school handbook.




Please note that certain offenses do not require external suspension.




#1 #2 #3 #4 (#5) #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18




Reason (s) for external suspension (describe incident giving time, date, location, facts and all other

pertinent information).

THREATENED ASSISTANT

PRINCIPAL - USING PROFANITY TO POLICE OFFICER

VERY DEFIANT




Use separate sheet if necessary

Chapter 766

Is the student currently in a Chapter 766 program?

Yes_

*_No

IF not, is the student currently under an evaluation for Chapter 766? Yes_

No_*

If student has been suspended for more than five (5) days in any quarter. the principal, in accordance

with Chapter 766, must review the cases) and determine if a referral under Chapter 766 is to be made.




Are you referring this student under Chapter 766? Yes_ No_*

Signed Principal

or designee






APPROVED: Dr. John E. Shea

Assistant Superintendent (B.P.S.)”




===

===
Basement Door.









I can't remember exactly why I was in the principal's office for this incident, but needless to say I didn't respect the police at this time, my friend Tammy had recently died and there were still no answers, cops were acting weird around the school.

After Tammy was found I had a few female friends make goofy offers to go fool around in the subbasement, but they would always tease me with things I didn’t think were going to happen. Needless to say I never snuck down for any mysterious rendezvous but I would lie and say I did, which got these girls to admit that "something came up” lol . I thought this was just a joke until one time I had been invited to go down, but I didn't, though I did walk by that door on my way to my next class. In between classes one time I happened to walk by one of the sub-basement doors and this weird police officer pops out and accuses me of giggling the handle trying to act like I was attempting to go down there. lol I’m not sure if he had the door crack and had been peeking or heard some noise and thought he’s was going to get lucky and get me to admit to some nonsense, but I was 10-15 away and walking towards the stairs, which were straight and to the left and the door he exited was to the right, facing me.

I was totally caught off guard and focused on him accusing me of touching the handle, not on being invited down there. When looking back I’m curious if he was the one telling those girls to lure me down in the dark, where officers would be waiting to scare me. lol I’m lucky the idea of fooling around with girls in school didn’t appeal to me or I could’ve gotten into all kinds of trouble. Lol

===

Summer





It was somewhere around this time that someone had gotten hit by a train on the railroad tracks over by Five Mile Pond and for whatever reason Mindy and I went for a walk over there, and it was pretty gross. You could still see chunks of flesh everywhere and I saw what looked like an elbow or shoulder joint along the tracks. I find this stuff both gross and fascinating at the same time. I probably heard someone had been hit, but didn’t actually expect to see anything.





August

Right around this time I bought a 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis. It looked like an old person's car, it had tons of space and I loved it. It had a 5.0 engine, not that I really understand what that means even now, lol but it was fast and handled very well.






It was around this time I also got a job as a prep cook at Olive on the corner of Boston Road and Parker Street. This is the first job where I ever had any real responsibility, but it sucked working alone.




I thought it was a lot of fun making the different sauces and soups. I learned how to make Alfredo, it was simple prepping the meat sauces, cooking the chicken tenders and meatballs. Though I did tap the inside of the machine we cooked the meatballs in once, and oh man did that hurt like crazy. lol

I got to have all the free soup, salad and breadsticks I wanted as well. Though I mainly ate breadsticks and banana peppers. Lol

One time someone left a clear plastic sheet on the floor and I slipped, fell flat on my back and cracked my head on the floor. This was when I had come in early to help the main crew, since I normally worked nights. It’s been 30 years and I still remember how bad that hurt. Lol This is what happens when you work with other people, you need to be extra aware of all the things that can and will eventually go wrong. I got to finish the night shift alone like I always did, so this day was pretty rough.






September




I think it was during this soccer season, either way, we had a game next to the cemetery and I remember my cousin Kenny found some monster bouquet of flowers and brought it over to his mom in the middle of the game and she was mortified. lol

My Aunt Sandy hollered at him to return it, he probably found it in a pile, I doubt he stole it off of somebody's grave. lol It was probably from compost piles, I know cemeteries collect plants that people leave on their visits.






October







10-18-1995


Picture above text:

“ROGER L PUTNAM

VOCATIONAL TECHNICAL HIGH SCHOOL

OFFICE REFERRAL

STUDENT

Richard Stebbins

Shop

H.R. Shop E100

TIME

DATE

10-18-95

STUDENT INFRACTION

Another inappropriate a sexual remark When walking by me, (harassing)

(2nd day in a row)

ACTION TAKEN AT TEACHER

Write up.

For administration use only

SUSPENDED




TEACHER Mrs. Boyle

ROOM E100




November







I got suspended for singing in the song "I touched myself by the Divinyls" because it was on the radio in our shop and some Haggard old teacher's aide felt the need to report me for singing it. lol

Looking back I think it's total bullshit, and they should never even have allowed the radio to be on in the first place, especially if they're going to complain about the language being used "on the radio".

I sang this more than a few times at karaoke years later. lol Though it is not one of my favorite songs, I just think it's funny and stupid. lol






I got to spend 30 days downtown at a building that looked like a castle, I got to do all my homework all at once. Then I was able to play chess and basketball for the rest of the day. If educators were trying to teach me a lesson, sending me to this place didn’t do the job. Not only did I think the building was beautiful, I had a blast while I was here and left like I got along great with everyone there.




I shared a picture below of the old school even though it’s part of the casino in 2026. I didn’t get to explore this building. Looking back I should have asked, they might’ve said yes.







December


12-1-1995






Picture above text:

“ THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS OF SPRINGFIELD

EMERGENCY SERVICES PROGRAM (ESP)

ASSESSMENT CENTER (AC)

DISCHARGE SUMMARY / EXIT FORM

STUDENT NAME RICHARD STEBBINS. SENDING SCHOOL PUTNAM GRADE 12th




Date of Intake into ESP/AC: 11-15-95

Reason: STAFF ASSAULT




Background INFORMATION: RICHARD IS A SENIOR AT PUTNAM HIGH SCHOOL HE RECEIVES NO SPECIAL SERVICES, BUT IS MONTTORED WITHIN HIS REGULAR EDUCATION CLASSROOM.

Attendance: Present: 9 of 9 days. Tardy: 0 of 9 days.




Assessment Instrument(s) Used: BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION SYSTEM, VIOLENCE

PRVENTION CURRICULIM,STUDENT AND PARENT INTERVIEW,

AND TEACHER ASSESSINENTS.




Specific Findings: (Including Strengths): RICHARD HAD NO TROUBLE COMLPYING WITH PROGRAM RULES AND WORKED INDEPENDENTLY TO COMPLETE THE ASSIGNMENTS FROM THE SENDING SCHDOL. HE ACCEPTED LIMITS PLACED ON HIM AND INTERATED WELL BOTH STAFF AND PEERS.




Issues Addressed in Counseling: IMPULSIVITY, DEFIANCE OF AUTHORITY

AND INTERACTING APPROPRIATELY WITH PEERS AND AUTHORITY FIGURES




Did Student Complete Anti-Violence/Substance Abuse Program(s)?




Recommendations:

1 RICHARD WILL COMPLETE HIS SUSPENSION IN THE EAP

PROGRAM AT MUNICIPAL HOSPITAL ANT RETURN TO PUTNAM ON 12-19-95.




Special Education Referral: Yes < No _ If Yes, Why?.

Date of Discharge from ESP/AC: 12-1-95 Receiving School: EAP uN 12-1/PUTNAM 12-19.3

SCHCCL ADJUSTMENT

Form Completed By: Keith X Worthy Position: COUNSELOR Date: 12-1-95




12-6-1995








Picture above text:

“THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS of SPRINGFIELD, MASSACHUSETTS

Dr. Alex Gillat

Supervisor

Emergency Services Program




29 Howard Street

Springfield, MA 01105

787-7036

787-7037




Assessment Center Evaluation for Richard Stebbins 12-6-95




Richard Stebbins entered the Assessment Center from the grade 12, regular education program at Putnam High School on November 17, 1995. Referral was made due to the

mandatory thirty day suspension for teacher assault.

He has been in attendance for nine days.

Academically, Richard completed assignments from his sending school. He displayed the ability to work independently and ask for assistance appropriately. Richard completed

his class work very well.

Behaviorally, Richard was in compliance with all the rules and regulations of the program. He earned level 3

{the highest level} of the behavior management system utilized in the program after his initial week.




Richard participated in and completed the ten sessions of the Violence Prevention Curriculum. Given the Anger Style Inventory, his responses indicated that he is most likely to respond to anger verbally. He has been introduced to non-violent ways to handle conflict through

the use of discussions and videos.

Robert Eateon

Assistant Teacher”





===




There might be some Christmas videos or something off the look for links




I remember feeling like Christmas this year sucked while working at the Olive Garden; it was not a family friendly environment. I was by myself 95% of the time and no one was ever interested in talking. The worst was the music, they played the same stupid songs over and over. That time Selena was big and that song “ I Could Fall in Love” quickly got on my nerves. Lol
























No comments:

Living in a Society Designed to Fail

  It's maddening living in a world where everything is designed to fail. Companies produce endless junk and most of it is designed not t...